Sunday, July 19, 2009

In all likelihood, my last post before returning to the U.S.

Whew friends, time has really flown by. In some ways, I can't believe that two months has gone by, and at the same time I can believe it. There are about 2,000 pictures to prove it has been two months, but when I think about events and stuff, it doesn't add up. I'm tearing up just thinking about leaving. I totally love this place.

I couldn't have asked for a better summer. Excitement, learning, adventures...

Speaking of adventures, two nights ago, we decided to go to Esfahan (a twelve hour bus ride round-trip), leaving at 1am on Friday and coming back Saturday at midnight. It was quite possibly one of the best adventures ever. Beautiful sights from the Safavid period AND I met this really cute PhD student from Princeton who was doing his doctorate in Middle Eastern studies. Totally gorgeous, smart, AND I have his phone number. It's a real shame I'm headed back to the states. Real shame. Mmm.DAMN.

Our flight leaves on Tuesday at 3:20am. Back to the U.S. *sigh* (both of relief and sadness)

This trip, I've really realized how much I straddle the line of my two cultures, and the more I understand the depths of both, the more I feel like I don't fit in either, but you know what I've realized?

No one said I have to fit in either. I always assumed that I had to choose.

1 comment: