Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's a bit crazy over here.

Hi all,

don't have time for a long post, but thought i'd update you on the situation in Iran. Yes, there are riots, no, I didn't participate, or even see one live. The only ones I saw were on BBCFarsi, which cut out at around 9:00pm--whether that was due to the government or a big cloud, no one can be sure. What I do know is that all SMS text messaging, DSL, and mobile phone service has been completely shut off by the government.

People here are not happy, that's for sure, and tampering is indeed suspected by many parties.

Also, for some reason, I couldn't get Grinnell's homepage or email to load. Can you all get into yours? I can't tell if the government blocked it, or if the system's down.

I'm hoping for a decrease in protests, as many have been bloody, but something makes me think people are super not happy about the goings on and won't cease anytime soon.

Also, check out sara-ghadiri.blogspot.com for another perspective. C, that one's for you. She can't get on FB these days, love.
&hugs,
Mona

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Stay safe.

    The BBC said the government did block their service. I just checked my Grinnell email, and it worked.

    For your sake, I hope nothing major breaks out there. You know better than I, but I feel that at least a moderate level of violence will have to be used to keep Ahmadinejad in power.

    Depending on the opposition's determination, only a huge amount of violence will get Ahmadinejad out, because the Ayatollahs won't be budging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete